Friday, March 03, 2006

A good friend of mine (Hi sweety!) asked me to tell her about faith last night. After thinking about it for a couple of minutes, this is what I came up with:

Faith is knowing that in the end, everything will be ok. It's knowing that as long as we give it our best shot, that we'll come out of it stronger, calmer, and knowing a little bit more about ourselves. It's believing that God doesn't give us anything that He thinks we can't handle. It's knowing that if God brings us to it, He'll bring us through it. Faith is believing that every person that is in our lives, God has put there for a reason. That's what I believe faith is.

But thinking about this longer, I think faith is deeper than that, and individualized. My faith is not your faith, and yours is not mine. I think, that at the core of our being, whether or not you believe in God, we all have a hope that we'll be ok. And we put faith into it, because we want to believe in that hope no matter what. Some might call their faith, dreams. Or plans. Or desires. But, I think, in the end, it all comes down to one thing: believing that we'll be happy, and content, in our lives, so long as we work hard at it, and strive to be a good human being. We have faith that if we put enough good energy out into the world, that we'll eventually get positive energy back. It's that Karma equation: what goes around, comes around, and I fully believe that is true.

A good example of Karma biting someone in the ass, is the US Olympic Skier, Bode Miller. For a couple of weeks before the Olympics began, he started bad mouthing team mates, other athletes (Lance Armstrong and Barry Bonds to name a few), and talking about how he's not there for the team, he's there for himself, and something about skiing hung over or loaded. I remember saying to dad that he'd better be careful, because his Karma was going to come back and bite him in the ass and he won't win a single medal. Well.......he didn't. He skied like shit. Running off the course, straddling gates. Overall, a very embarrassing showing for the young man with a big mouth. He put out all that negative energy before the Olympics started, and it found him on that mountain top in Italy, and bit him in the ass. And I laughed every time he screwed up. Twisted of me, I know!

I'm interested in knowing what you think faith is. Whether or not you believe in God, I'd like to know. Please leave your comment for me, and the rest of the internet world to see. Anonymous comments welcome this time.